CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome!

...sharing strategies for teaching second graders...

Monday, February 13, 2012

Liebster Award and Today...

Wow! Thanks, Ms. T. at Second Grade Math Maniacs for awarding me the Liebster Award.












I am honored! This award is given to blogs with 200 followers or fewer and is meant to give recognition and love to wonderful, upcoming blogs. Wow again! Thanks, Ms. T! I choose five blogs and pass on the Liebster Award. They are:
1. Mrs. Shepherd @ Shepherd's Shining Stars
2. Denise @ 2nd Grade Ponderings
3. Ms. Chrissy B @ Buzzing with Ms. B.
4. Sara @ Ms. Pagano's Place
5. Frau @ Half a Dollar in the Jar

Now to tell about my day! It was busy, busy, busy as usual in a second grade classroom. My student teacher helped soooo much, but we still didn't get it all finished! She's there Mondays and Wednesdays. I'm very thankful to have her with me! She just jumps right in wherever she thinks I need help and has been a Godsend! I still haven't gotten all my copies ready for tomorrow morning...even with her there which means I gotta get up and to school by 6:30 to get those done! I do have Conversation hearts ready for my children, as well as their penpal letters from the awesome Mrs. P! I can't wait to see their faces when the children get their penpal letters!

So, this evening my teamie (Leah) and I taped up Capri Sun boxes to make Valentine holders for our students. :) Pictures follow...yep, I got a little crazy with the camera. We had an assembly line going and it was amazing how quickly we knocked this out. We had a blast while we were doing it, too!

























My brother brought me loads of paper when he worked at a printing company and I still have about ten rolls. It seems they have to recycle when the rolls get so close to the end because of the humidity of the paper. So, check with local printing companies. They seem happy enough to donate and the paper goes a loooooooonnnnnnggggg way! We use it for everything! Leah had considered spray painting the boxes red, but I remembered that if the temperature is below about 60 degrees, the paint won't dry. My brother found a shelf at the dump one year on Christmas Eve (he's always trying to save a dime!), went to Wal*mart and got spray paint (six cans), and tried to paint the shelf for me for that night when we had our family Christmas exchange. It took him four hours to get it dry with his spotlights on his carport, an extension cord, and his hair dryer. That is one of my favorite gifts of all time from him...the other being a grand piano keyring. I still want a baby grand! Oops...sorry, I digress again.

So, I cut the piece of the box out where the fingerholes were to make the slit for the Valentines to slide down into the box. Leah wrapped the boxes around, taped, and passed them for me to fold the ends down and tape. Our students will decorate their boxes tomorrow morning after reading their penpal letters and sharing them with their buddies. We have lots of cool Valentine activities to share, they have the Valentine Dance from 9:50 to 10:40, more fun in the classroom, cheerleaders and football players from the high school we feed into will be in the cafeteria at lunch, taking pictures of the students in groups of 4 or 5 buddies, a Volleyball game at 1:00, and our party begin at 1:30. Whew! Stay tuned tomorrow...I'll have pix of the decorated boxes and hopefully I'll find time to get my "You Know You're a Teacher" links ready for the linky party. ;)  Can't wait for you to see them all!

Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment